Saturday, April 2, 2011

"10,500 ft" oil 8x8


This summer I will travel to Colorado and Wyoming to hike into the back country. To find views like this usually entails a strenuous hike of anywhere from 4 to 7 miles, with a typical elevation gain of 2 to 3 thousand feet (think about climbing a 3 thousand feet staircase). Living on the east coast, where I'm probably 17 inches above sea level, presents some physical challenges when attempting hikes at these altitudes. I am in the gym these days training to build up my stamina. The rewards of seeing crystal clear alpine lakes are well worth the effort.

3 comments:

Becky Joy said...

Good idea to be in the gym. I was going to up the treadmill, but haven't. I'll be puffing.

Michael said...

I hear ya. I'm PA Dutch Wonderland country but often backpack in the Sierra Nevada. I found carrying a big daypack loaded up with the Ten Essentials plus gallons of water while walking and running the PA hills does the trick. : )

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Friends always ask me what the appeal of backpacking is and I suppose if I came home with a painting as amazing as yours they might understand why.